A-Kerr’s contracts have developed over the years to meet the needs and concerns of clients; it is always a work in progress. The contracts inform and clarify the unforeseen and unknowable possibilities of life as well as assures you in writing, that we will fulfill our part in raising a healthy, happy kitten. It allows us to have a conversation about concerns and always, what we can expect from each other. If there are specific points you have and want covered this allows us to add them.
The contract encompasses legal advice, personal experience derived over the years, and knowledge gleaned from breeders and clients.
To be on the waiting list, I ask that you read through the contract and sign a preliminary copy for me to have on file and for you to have to study. When you select your kitten, the kitten will be identified and you will be asked to sign. Usually this is after the kitten is six weeks of age and has been examined at least once by the vet. At that time a non-refundable deposit of 50% of the total cost is required. At twelve weeks of age the kitten can leave.
Explanations are written in blue italics.
|Contract Type||Date of Update||PDF format|
|Neuter/Spay Contract||April, 2012||pet contract|
|USA Breeder Contract|
|International Breeder Contract|
|Adoptive Adult Contract|
NEUTER/SPAY KITTEN CONTRACT
Kittens are neutered/spayed before they leave here. This is a practice we have done successfully for well over twelve years. It is not to prevent cats from being used for breeding, but for the overall health and temperament of the kittens. A kitten that is neutered/spayed prior to puberty is referred to as early spay and neuter, because it precedes puberty… while there are differing views on the age to do this, it is generally recognized as a practice to be done for making a cat a pet due to territorial marking. Bengals can come into puberty as early as four months… this begins the cycle of potential problems with inappropriate elimination which is the number one cause for cats being abandoned. Kittens recover quickly and come back to my home the day of surgery, males are running around the same day and females the next.
- Birth date and individual marking
- Amount of kitten
- Pick up date
This contract is between Libbie Kerr or Samantha Kerr, doing business as A-Kerr’s Bengal cats and _________________________________
Any details, such as spay/neuter, rebates, any changes that the client has asked about concerning the contract are placed here.
Guarantees from the Buyer to A-Kerr’s Bengal cats
- If, at any time, this kitten/cat cannot remain with me, I will contact A-Kerr’s Bengal cats for advice.
- I will, under no circumstances, sell, lease, or give this kitten to any shelter, research facility, pet store or similar facility.
- I will keep this kitten indoors with room for play and activity, interaction with people, and provide scratching posts, proper nutrition, litter boxes, and attention.
- If I take the kitten outside, it must be leashed, in a safe area, and under proper conditions for safety… it will not be allowed to roam freely. (Free roam cats have a life expectancy of three years)
- I understand that there are no cash refunds.
- I will have my veterinarian direct any and all questions, comments, or concerns to the Powell Vet clinic at 614-436-9922. I understand that failure to do so makes all guarantees null and void. This is a phone contact only.
- I understand that if I de-claw the kitten all guarantees are null and void.
- I understand that I must keep the kitten separate from all other cats/kittens in the household until I am satisfied that the kitten is in excellent health and the kitten meets my expectations. I understand that my failure to isolate the kitten makes all guarantees null and void.
- I will keep the kitten’s vaccines up to date, following the recommendations of the veterinarian of my choice.
- I understand A-Kerr’s Bengal cats has done everything to optimize the socialization of the kitten and I agree to work with the kitten and provide a safe, exploratory environment. Any behavior problems must be directed to A-Kerr’s Bengal cats in a timely manner!
- I understand to the best of A-Kerr’s knowledge and that of Powell Vet Clinic, the kitten/cat is free of zoonotic diseases. With live animals, there is always the risk of zoonotic disease especially in immuno-suppressed patients, pregnant mothers-to-be, or children. Inform your doctor of your new family addition if these conditions apply to you. If you have young children, be aware that if they contract Campylobacter or Streptococcal bacterial infections, they can pass this on to your cat or kitten. Some water supplies may contain giardia or other organisms that may pose a risk for your kitten or cat. In no case will A-Kerr’s be held responsible for medical expenses related to this kitten.
- I understand that A-Kerr’s Bengal cats cannot be held responsible for other cats in my household, all guarantees relate only to the A-Kerr’s Bengal cat or kitten.
- I understand A-Kerr’s Bengal cats cannot be held responsible for any health bills, these are my responsibility. If I wish I can take out the Embrace Pet Insurance program or any other program of my choosing.
Signature of Buyer, date
Assurances to Buyer from A-Kerr’s Bengal cats
- Powell Vet Clinic has seen this kitten at least two times, they have worked with A-Kerr’s Bengal cats since 1989. They provide in depth health evaluation, administer vaccines and check for any defects. Powell Vet Clinic can be contacted for a phone consultation by your veterinarian. Kitten is identified by: date of birth, mother’s name, and foot marking.
- A growth, temperature, general health and vaccine record is given with each kitten. A post card for your veterinarian to fill out and drop in the mail to A-Kerr’s Bengal cats must be sent back to A-Kerr’s Bengal cats to show the health evaluation of your vet in the guarantee period. The phone consultation is there for you as a benefit. It is what assures you of the health and care of the kitten.
- Vaccines given: two FPL/CVR. Rabies vaccine given according to the laws of Buyer’s state. Strict worming schedule followed. Feline leukemia vaccines are the Buyer’s responsibility. We provide the core vaccines.
- Temperament is very important. Kittens receive daily handling from the moment of birth and kept in an optimum environment for their development. Temperament is warranted on what is expressed here and you are given assistance in introducing the kitten to your home.
- All A-Kerr’s Bengal cats are registered. All pedigrees are given to you. If circumstances are that you are making the arrangements for the spay and neuter with your veterinarian, then A-Kerr’s Bengal cats will hold the registration papers until written notification of the neuter or spay from the acting veterinarian.
- A-Kerr’s keeps cattery inspections and qualifications current. A-Kerr’s keeps up to date on issues concerning feline health and behavior.
- A-Kerr’s will always be available to you in a reasonable time frame.
- It is up to the Buyer to initiate any insurance program and A-Kerr’s is not responsible for health costs.
Beyond Our Control… Life Guarantees
- Kitten must be taken to Buyer’s veterinarian to assure Buyer of the health of the kitten in the first seven days of ownership unless other arrangements have been made with A-Kerr’s. This must be done before exposing established cats in a household to kitten and exposing kitten to established cats. This is done at Buyer’s expense. Be sure to have your vet contact mine for a phone consultation if there are any questions, concerns, or comments.
- If there are no other cats in household, then Buyer can wait for the next vaccine date after pickup if it is within three weeks. This is done at Buyer’s expense. Basic health guarantee is for seven days, if kitten is kept isolated and not exposed to other cats.
- If the veterinarian discovers the cat is not in good health as guaranteed, the BUYER must contact the SELLER immediately and the BUYER must provide the SELLER with a written explanation signed by the BUYER’S veterinarian as the illness that has been determined. (We suggest that you place the new kitten in quarantine during this time, if not longer) If the cat or kitten can’t be cured, the SELLER will replace the kitten with one of equal value as soon as a kitten/cat is available.
- It is the responsibility of the Buyer to provide immediate veterinary care to any kitten showing signs of illness or distress and failure to do so will render any guarantee null and void.
- Adult cats are tested for Tritrichomnas foetus, TF, an emerging parasite of felines. Kittens cannot be treated until they are four months of age.
- In May, 2010 A-Kerr’s began testing for Tritrichomona Foetus (Tri Trich or TF). While most cats clear the protozoan by six to nine months of age there is effective treatment that can begin at 4 months of age. TF causes diarrhea in some cats but not all and not all diarrhea is TF. We are testing to make sure you are informed but can only give the information we have through testing while the cat is here. Test results take 3-10 days, treatment at four months is a daily capsule for two weeks.
- HCM is confusing in the results it is giving. Ohio State University Veterinary Cardiologist, Dr. Bonagura, suggests that much more information is needed to understand the Bengal cat heart before a comfortable knowledge base gives a more complete look. By testing annually, we add to this knowledge base, all our tests are on line. To assist in further study, A-Kerr’s participates in the Feline Cardiomyopathy Consortium (FCC).
THIS CONTRACT IS LEGALLY BINDING TO ALL PARTIES INVOLVED. Any legal fees incurred in upholding this contract will be paid by the purchaser. Venue is in the State of Ohio, in the County of Delaware.
A-Kerr’s Cattery Signature and date