A-Kerr's kittens are bred for:
health, temperament, beauty... and enjoyment!
The kittens provide constant entertainment and connection to the moment. Each day brings change and development captured on film and video at approximately two weeks, six weeks and eleven weeks of age for you to have glimpses into what goes on daily. The main goal at A-Kerr's is to match YOU with the perfect kitten(s) for you. Photos and videos help you learn and educate your eye.. so watch and enjoy. Currently the biggest question I get is PRICING... If you are price shopping only, with no regard to health testing, genetic soundness, and how the kittens are raised, then I am not interested in adopting one of our special babies out to that type of home. I am well aware that Ohio has become a hotbed of unscrupulous breeders. My best advice is to educate yourself... On the breed, on why health testing is of utmost importance, and on what else you receive when you are buying a companion that should be a source of joy for many years. The average price range of my kittens is $1300-1700, some kittens fall below that price range, and I do work with clients' constraints who are committed to providing a caring lifelong commitment to an A-Kerr's kitten.
What to look for in the photos and videos:
- At two weeks of age you see pattern at its worse! The spots are close together, the marble is almost solid in appearance, but the color of face and feet reveal the future and IF you think wow, look at that pattern... it will only get better!
- At six weeks of age after their first veterinarian checkup, the waiting list is contacted in order of waiting and selection begins. Fill in the contact page to hear from us the latest news! At this age, you begin to see the coloring and pattern unfold, the shape of head and the body type are revealed more. You begin to see personality revealed. Also, full disclosure of health.
- At eleven weeks you are about ready to pick up your new kitten and the potential adult is much more evident.
On the waiting list? What to expect:
- Your wishes are noted and if a deposit has been given, your place assured.
- When your name comes to the top, I will contact you and explain what is available, individual pricing.
- If you need more assistance in selecting: comparison photos and video and arranged and of course, depending on schedules, a visit to the cattery.
- Kittens remain here for 11-14 weeks.
- Assistance in transitioning your new pet to your home.
NOTE: Due to new regulations from USDA/APHIS there are concerns about the sales of kittens on the Internet. Rest assured A-Kerr's remains within these imposed regulations that have not been voted on by our representative government. As it has always been, A-Kerr's recognizes our job is to make this a wonderful experience for you and everything is done to facilitate this process. At A-Kerr's we pride ourselves on the years of service to owners, and will not lower our cattery standards to meet the government's imposed limitations. Rest assured, we have your back! To comment on these regulations, see the following link: Calvary Group Due to these regulations we have reduced the number of breeding females to four thus our waiting list suffers.
A-Kerr's believes that responsible breeding means breeding the healthiest cats possible. We screen our cats for :
- HCM (cardiologist, heart disease certification)
- PK Deficiency (blood disorder through DNA)
- Eye Certification (ophthalmologist)
- PRA-b (eye disorder through DNA)
- Tri-trichomonas (intestinal)
- wide range of other tests as indicated performed either by specialists, veterinarian, or with DNA.
Kittens are not exposed to other cats or kittens until all the cats/kittens exposed to have been vaccinated for FVRCP (combo vaccination) and have negative fecal tests. In depth veterinarian evaluation. Each kitten is seen at Powell Vet Clinic. Checked for soundness, vaccinated, and tested. As well as health evaluation that is disclosed to your veterinarian and you.
- Handling. Kittens are massaged, carried, and bonded to human touch through daily handling from birth.
- Genetic friendliness: These kittens are bred from parents that are genetically selected for friendliness. The result is kittens that are born to desire human interaction and they seek out involvement. Children are encouraged to handle them as they move differently than we adults and the cats and kittens are exposed to other cats, dogs, noises of family life and other situations to increase their confidence.
The quality of A-Kerr's cats speak for themselves. Award winning, the 2013 Bengal cat of the Year was bred and raised at A-Kerr's. Best Bengal in the region has been A-Kerr's cats for the last two years! These cats win awards in the hallways of your home and at shows. Bred to the standard of excellence. Of course, as cat shows are an important part of the objective, independent verification of quality in our breeding stock, we strive to have show winners every season! Our cats are known for being colorful, rosetted, structurally beautiful!
Optimal environment and care
- Kittens are raised in home, live in an active household designed to allow them to grow confident and social. They are handled daily and receive individual attention.
- Adults are in an on site facility designed for optimum interaction and activity, as well as minimizing disease transmission.
- Quality foods. Kittens receive a high quality diet keeping them healthy and growing strong. The raw diet is found at www.hare-today.com More detail going-home
- Experienced communications. Books and charts to help you understand thecat ownership and assistance in the selection of the right one for you.
- Access to veterinarian records on your cat/kitten. Your veterinarian must have direct contact with Powell Vet Clinic if any questions on health arise. This is an important part of our agreement. This is through a phone call, 614-436-9922.
- Video and photos. You are brought into the selection process with photos and video of available kittens. This allows you to see the personality. Photographs show the color and pattern. Provided an honest, professional evaluation of your kitten. If you want more photos or videos, they are done for you and assistance given to you for selection.
- Peace of Mind. We have one of the best gaurantees in the breed.
.Cattery quality assurance
- First Bengal Cattery to receive OUTSTANDING CATTERY AWARD from The International Cat Association. Kept current annually. The longest holding cattery of this award of any breed, while Libbie owned the cattery.
- First Bengal cattery to receive Cattery of Excellence from American Cat Fanciers Association.
- First Bengal cattery to receive Cattery of Excellence from CFA, Cat Fanciers Associations.
- Breeder of Distinction awarded from The International Bengal Cat Society. Kept current annually.
- Veterinarian inspected on an annual basis and surprise checks to make sure of consistency.
- Award winning cats. IW SGC A-Kerr's Regal Splendor of Medusa bred here at A-Kerr's is the Bengal cat 2013 of the year. Search TICA archives for a full record of titled cats, there are too many to list! Most recently RW SGC Speakeasy CowboysLastRide of A-Kerr's was Best Bengal in the Great Lakes Region, 7th Best Shorthair Cat, 11th Best Allbreed Cat.
Contractually A-Kerr's Bengal cat assures you:
- Written guarantees on health and temperament. We have the best guarantees known.
- Veterinarian approved cattery.
- Vaccines administered by vet. (2 sets administered, referred to as core vaccines, but there are vaccines that must be administered after 12 weeks of age for effectiveness)
- Feline leukemia virus and feline immunodeficiency virus tested and vaccinated adults, making this a Felv and FIV free cattery. (FeLV, FIV)
- Testing of all mother's with kittens for trichomonas foetus to make sure kittens are not exposed.(tri-trich) This testing is not 100%. Tri Trich can be successfully treated with ronidazole, this is off label use and is veterinarian prescribed.
- Random testing for corona virus. *
- Testing by certified veterinary cardiologist on all adults in breeding program for HCM, or other abnormalities at Ohio State University.
- Pyruvate Kinase Deficiency test given to all cats in breeding program or certified by their pedigree. (PK Deficiency)
- Progressive retinalatrophy test given to all cats in breeding program or certified by their pedigree. (PRA-b ) Complete health record given.
- Your veterinarian given access to your kitten's records by my veterinarian.
- Clear and honest evaluation of kittens.
- One year fatal congenital health guarantee.
- Five year limited congenital health guarantee.
- Feline Behavior Counseling
- Kitten's complete vaccination record
- Early spay and neuter
- Mini Microchip with prepaid registration
- 60 day Pet Insurance coverage through EMBRACE for $1
- Phone consultation through your veterinarian and Powell Vet Clinic on any questions concerning your kitten's health.
*There is no guarantee each individual kitten is free of corona virus, as an estimated 80-95% of cats in multi-cat households have corona virus, I can guarantee replacement of any A-Kerr's kitten that contacts FIP. That is the best anyone can do.